Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Elbow issues

Background: I have really hit the training pretty hard in the last few months. I amped up the biking and was hitting some good mileage. My right elbow was consistently sore for a few days after each ride. I realized that I was locking my elbow so I had to work on my form. My elbow continued to hurt but I was able to tough through the pain.

Fast forward to today: My elbow has been hurting more and more recently. I finally made an appointment for an x-ray. Well, here's the Roentgen picture.

The little red circle is showing a lovely little thing called a bone spur. It's right next to the ulnar nerve (funny bone). Every time I bump my elbow, pain shoots down my arm and it hurts a lot. I will probably have surgery over Thanksgiving.

I'll survive, but it kinda sucks.

4 comments:

  1. ouch! can't you break it off yourself? :-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you end-up having surgery on your elbow? I'm curious about the outcome because I'm possibly looking at the same procedure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Bricmars,
      No, I consulted with a surgeon who is also a cyclist. He helped me change my form and we monitored it for about 2 months but it eventually got re-sorbed.I was locking my elbows and the steady vibration from the long bike rides caused inflammation that calcified into the spur. I took a month off biking and hit the pool pretty hard and the pain started to dissipate.

      Delete
  3. Hi Freementia

    Sorry to bother you but I just took a x ray yesterday that looks just like yours. I would like to ask if you can tell me a little more what your doctor told you to do besides fixing your form. Did the swim help the healing?

    thanks

    ReplyDelete