Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Day= HOT; Evening=Run

It's 7:30 this evening and we just finished a great dinner of pasta, chicken, and broccoli. I had a pretty eventful day full of walking and donating plasma so I'm kinda tired. Ryu wanted to play in her pool in the yard so I set everything up for a little family trip to the front yard. We pulled out the kiddie pool and set up a sprinkler. Ryu had a good, if not cold, time in the water. Kris read a bit of World War Z (awesome book by the way, huge recommendation) while I either splashed in the water with Ryu or worked on the laptop. Now that I've eaten and it's been 6 hours since my plasma donation, I'm going to go for a run and do a 20 minute core work out. That reminds me, I need help with stretching. I don't know a lot about it. Do I stretch my arms and chest after a run? How do I know I'm warmed up enough to stretch? What's a good quad stretch that doesn't torque my knee? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

3 comments:

  1. stretching is over rated... If you stretch before you workout, you reduce the ability of your muscles to apply power. A good dynamic warm up before running is a good idea. Heck, when you get to be my age, a warm up is a must :-)

    You can stretch afterwards though. Your muscles are warmed up and there's less chance of pulling something. I don't stretch, so I'm not much help there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't stretch before a run, but I'm a big believer in stretching afterwards. I don't have any recommendations for your quads, though. I just do the standard pull up from behind routine and it works great for me. I don't usually stretch my upper body after a run, either, I just concentrate on my hips down. Even that takes me a good 20 minutes, though.

    Here are a few of the ones I usually do:
    http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_1/126.shtml

    ReplyDelete
  3. We do a lot of running in the evening to avoid the heat of the day. :) The pool in the yar sounds better though!

    I wish I had advice for stretching. There are so many conflicting arguments about it. :(

    ReplyDelete