Monday, November 19, 2012

Ironman Race Report (6 months later)

Ironman Boise 70.3. was an incredible experience. Kristy and Ryleigh came with me to check-in. It was quite the process. First was the identification stage. 
Then there was packet pick up.
After check in and the rule reading, We went out for bagels and met up with my sister and a couple of her kids.
Day of the race was really cold. It was 39 degrees and windy. A lot of people dropped out because of the cold. The race officials shortened the bike leg to 15 miles. So short that some of the pros did the bike in their wetsuit, (including my hero, Mr. Matty Reed)
When I got in the water, it was actually 20 degrees warmer that it was out in the air. About a hundred yards into the swim, half of the men in my heat, including myself, started getting cramps in our calves. We had all been so cold while waiting for the race to start, we were bouncing around on our toes so when we got swimming, our calves started fighting back. I stretched out in the water and finished the swim in 44 min. I was pretty happy with my swim time.

The bike was really fast because of the shortened course.


During the run, the weather started cooperating and it warmed up to about 64 degrees which was a welcome change. The run was definitely my worst leg so I know what I need to work on. I was happy the whole time but the last 4 miles my knees really started hurting so it slowed me down a lot.
After the race, rather than going home,  I went back to the hotel where my family was staying and slept for about an hour and a half while everyone went to the pool and played. And yes I did sleep with that medal. 
I loved running this race. I loved having my family come and support me. I can't wait until I can do it again.




1 comment:

  1. I am so proud that you stuck through the terrible weather and I am impressed with all the training you did to accomplish your goal! You are the best. I love you!
    Kristy

    ReplyDelete